Thursday, July 3, 2008

Around Town



Trying to get money and not disturb His Highness during his nap.



Clearly not bothered.



Chillin' again.



Lunchtime. Piles of refuse are everywhere around the city because the government no longer lets them dump in municipal waste areas (in certain areas).. so people do the next best thing, and at least put it in a pile... this one is strategically placed near a UN compound, hahaha.




The bougainvillea grows like weeds.



Luxury UN vehicles.






"Public transportation." The Microbus.



Western marketing everywhere, and see the saris the ladies wear... now imagine my American self running around... sore thumb monkey.



Oh, and the people here are fascinated by cowboys, even my more modern friends. Half the time I get tired and just let them think my Dad and brother are obviously "out on the range" while mom cooks cornbread. They say "oooh texAS, texAS, ooh, ok ok texAS."




My local pile of refuse.. getting a little rank in the warm weather.



My room. Home. Total mess, sorry.



Luxury mattresses....



And I had no idea what a pomegranate was, it's delicious! It reminds me of corn and grapes. Size of corn, and you eat it kind of like corn, but tastes sweet and fruity like grapes. Ahh I miss grapes.


Another sunset from the balcony.. seriously like this every night. I think all the particles in the air from the monsoon makes it so vivid.


My balcony.



Office friend, informing me about the relevance of social marketing in making youth aware of climate change.



Soldiers everywhere.


This is Kathmandu's "trucking industry." Right now the item of choice is surprisingly waste from somewhere.




Oh my GOD no more climate change. And, I'm not even hungover...


So, Happy Fourth of July! Light a sparkler for me!

1 comment:

Jacattack said...

Hey Kathleen! Happy 4th! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Sounds like you have awesome plans, a birthday to remember forever. You'll have a BD gift waiting on you at Sewanee...don't want you to have to lug it around Nepal.

I LOVE YOU! HAPPY 22ND!!!!!!!!!

xoxo J

PS--Nice cow shot. Did you pet it?