Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I think I am going to have to skip going to Chitwan, which sucks, but it would be a logistical nightmare. The strikes and monsoon complicate the matter alot. So, I am definitely going to the Zoo, or somewhere so that I can get on an elephant and ride around. Seriously.



I leave the day after tomorrow, around 10:30 pm. Leaving will be strange, but I feel like it is time.

I don't have very much to write, I have just been hanging out with friends, and doing a lot of shopping for the past few days. They are having a going away party tonight in one of their restaurants, which sounds like some fun.

OH, actually, one interesting thing is that today on this side of the world is a solar eclipse. I do not know if it is at home also, but apparently this is the first time in 95 years that a solar eclipse has happened here. There is a national holiday here, so no offices are open. I actually wanted to go to the zoo today, to try to get on an elephant, but it also is closed for the day. I have gathered that eclipses are very sacred in the hindu religion. They do not allow themselves to work today, nor are they allowed to eat from, 4:30 to 6 pm... the height of the eclipse. The digestive system will go totally wrong. And, you must stay inside during those hours, and do "pujah" or worship. Some of my friends are actually very concerned about my American self not correctly observing the eclipse that they have mandated that I meet them during those times (Jill, are you laughing.. can't you just hear it? hahaha) to ensure that I am properly equipped to deal with this holy astronomical happening.

Actually, I have not looked it up on the internet, but is this the same kind of eclipse that we had at home about 15 years ago? I remember being at grandma grace's...

So, for now, lunch and a nap. Maybe some cool pics tomorrow from the eclipse and the party tonight.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oh, Kathy! I can't believe I missed the eclipse! We did not have a view of it, only those in the northern hemi - Canada, Greenland, Russia, Mongolia, northern China - had the full lunar eclipse. You've got to watch the BBC channel to stay in the know ;) Did the Nepalis give you a tika to protect your soul? Or did you have to do some sort of yak blood-letting? I can only imagine.

Please tell Arya, Vivek, Robel, etc... bye for me. I'm bummed I got confused about which day I was leaving, as I was looking forward to a last hurrah.

Safe travels as you make it back home.