Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Caretakers and Gurkhas

After work yesterday, I was supposed to meet my American friend from Alabama and his mother at their hotel to then go to a traditional Newari dinner. They are very good family friends with a kid from Nepal who was living in the states, but finally convinced the Alabamans to visit his homeland for a few weeks. Newari is one of the castes in Nepal- I think it focuses on something to do with music? Brahmen is the priestly caste, and Shah is the caste of royal blood, Newari is the music, or dance caste? Maybe something about the worship?

Anyways, Janish, the Newari boy, really wanted us to come enjoy a traditional Newari dinner complete with flutes, rice beer, etc. I met the Alabamans at their hotel (conveniently only a 5 minute walk from my new location). We sat down to have a cup of tea first - cups of tea are prerequisites to everything here- and I could not even keep the tea down. When Janish arrived to pick us up, I begged just to go back to the guest house, I felt terrible.

10 minutes after they dropped me off, as I was sprawling in bed in lots of pain, they were knocking at my door. Janish and BD from Alabama had bought a huge stand-up fan to drown out the noise from the streets and keep the room cool, so I would sleep better during the night while I was sick. SO ridiculously nice. I am beginning to think that is just the way things operate around here though. BD's mom called this morning to make sure I was not feeling sick alone, without fluids or a mother "to keep an eye on me." - heartachingly kind.

So, after lots of antibiotics and other medicine - products of thoughtful Dad and Uncle Steve - I am at work again, and feel lots better. I have been able to keep down a simple breakfast of toast and coffee from the hotel cafe. Actually, I am at work, and just looked at the time. I have to go to start working on this project before it piles up and I am in Biratnagar with nothing but blonde hair!!

Oh, and apparently I will have to speak REALLY slow - already a big problem for me during public speaking - because no one understands the American accent. Way too bourgeousie after the British accent.

That reminds me of something else, I told Dad this morning, Nepal was never colonized by any foreign power. The Gurkhas, or warriors from the hills defeated the British during their conquest of India. Presumably one of the only foreign entities to do so during the great period of British colonization. Pity we don't learn about that much in school. I wish I was a Gurkha.

1 comment:

Lucinda Presley said...

Congratulations on being invited to present at the Tuberculosis Conference! Your junior presentation experience will come in very handy, won't it!! You will do a great job!