Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pics, more in Picasa web



Monkeys at Swyambunath, "monkey temple." They run around free and have quite the relationship with the buddhist monks.



Tibetan prayer flags, you can see Swyambunath's height above the valley. It's an ancient place of worship, supposedly over 3000 years.



View of Kathmandu valley from Swambunath. Pretty dramatic monsoon working across the still sunny valley. I got drenched about 30 minutes later, and had used all my rupees on a necklace so I ran out of rupees to get a cab home. Took the "public transportation" through the monsoon... interesting.



At Bhaka Nadi with Rabindra.. the field officer / translator / facilitator from BNMT. This is the river that floods and covers the whole village with Himalayan sedimentation. You can see all the river rocks are metamorphic washed down from the mountains, even though the bedrock here is purely sedimentary. Cool. And, I don't think I've ever looked that good in my whole life. Very long day.



Hasandha farm pond. This was basically as close as I came to taking pictures of the area, no pictures with people I felt potentially disrespectful



Thamel, Aryo in one of his many restaurants. Not happy with my pictures. "pssh cathy why you do that? Give me that camera." He's a very good friend, even though super bossy.



Sunset from my balcony



"Freak Street" in Thamel, big hippy draw in the 70s

1 comment:

Jacattack said...

1. I love the monkeys!!

2. The eddie murphy prayer wheel made my day, great call Talbot.