Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Petrol Riots

I don't have much time to write, I just finished my presentation and got my plane ticket to take to Biratnagar tomorrow...

The presentation is pretty decent, I am just worried about the audience. I mean it is difficult to make a presentation without knowing basically anything about the audience.

I went to Swyambunath Sunday, which is a really famous temple on the highest hill overlooking the valley. It has tons of monkeys all around it. I have lots of awesome pictures, but I forgot my camera cord, so I will have to wait to download them until next Monday when I get back to work. Maybe I could do it in Biratnagar?

Anyways, next time I will have news from the Terai!


OH- one more thing though, I woke up this morning and today the petroleum prices rose from 80 to 100 rupees (esentially a US dollar, but really cheap because it's subsidized by the government - which is currently falling apart) There were road blocks all over Kathmandu with men protesting the fuel prices this morning. They were burning tires in all the roads, throwing stones through the windows of any cars that got on the road, and causing tons of destruction to the "medians" (I use that term very loosely- remember the non-existant traffic regulations)

The Maoists were there with their big red flags and loud speakers yelling communist mantras. Tons of soldiers in full on camo (which is blue here) with night rods and those big fiberglass shields and helmets and machine guns etc. It was quite exciting. This place is seriously Les Miserables style right now.

Anyways, I went with Aryo down to see the protesters. We didn't get in it, but it was right by my guest house, so easy to watch. Again, he knows everyone, so I got to talk to the police/soldier in charge of the whole Thamel, Lainchour, Lazimpat area. She was a woman which rocked, but super intimidating. She told us briefly about the petrol queue and the rioting since dawn, until more fighting broke out down the road and she had to go.

I know this sounds super dangers, but I promise I would never have gone alone (I realize that probably still doesn't sound assuring, but you have to be here)

It's really cool to see a revolution in action.

The woman soldier had a good point though. She said, she didn't know why these people and the Maoists before them try to wreak havoc, and end up doing it on the infrastructure, which throws the country backwards. I don't know what to make of it, not my revolution, but I though it was interesting.

4 comments:

Jacattack said...

Wow! What you are seeing is just incredible. I love how you are meeting all these people who give you the inside scoop. And what timing to be in Nepal during such a pivotal point in their history. Can't wait to ask a million more questions when you return to your cell phone. Good luck on your presentation!!! xoxo

Paula said...

Try to relax on your presentation. Have a conversation. Remember that all you need to do is communicate your information.
If the price of gas keeps rising, and it seems as though it will, strange things may occur here also. I am glad that I do not own an SUV.

Meanwhile, here the senate could not pass an energy bill today, and scientists cannot figure out where the source of salmonella infestation of tomatoes occurred. Yes, it is exciting to be there but Petrol riots can escalate. Be vigilant.

Lucinda Presley said...

It's so wonderful that you are embracing the experience! These are events, conversations, friends that will be with you all your life. I'm so happy, too, for your "best night ever". The international exchange is really powerful, isn't it? I'm so happy for you that you have such a widening group of friends. Way to go! Also, your presentation will be awesome....remember junior presentations and how much you learned from them! Love!

Talbot Presley said...

I REALLY want to see pics of the waterfall bar, so please take some of the place if you get another chance!