Monday, June 2, 2008

Sick

On a less sardonic note than the previous post, I went to work early this morning and by 1, in true Nepalese fashion, I skipped out to explore some of the city.. Also, they had not yet set up the internet in my "office," so I was having some trouble with research anyways. I got a little lost, and wound up in a sort of dicey situation. I was supposed to call Jitske's buddy who lives in a really cheap guest house to ask if he would take me by, and show me his room - to see if I could potentially stay there. The cell phone the BNMT had given me wasn't working, so I decided I would find the damn place myself. Needless to say, I would up very lost a long way from home, wearing terrible walking shoes. I ended up introducing myself to a lovely British ex-pat and her son from Boise/ China who directed me to a hospital with directions.

Long story short, I found Kors (the boy staying in this guest house) and he was extremely helpful in getting me a room. This guest house is immensely less expensive than my hotel, and I really like it much much more. It is between Lazimpat and Thamel in an area called Lanichou which in Nepali sounds like "lunch hour." I move in tomorrow morning before work.

Thus far, I have poo-pooed Thamel as a stupid tourist destination. Thamel is the area in Kathmandu that supposedly caters to tourists, selling North Face jackets, ready-made Tibetan rugs, and Indian turquoise. In the spirit of exploration, I left Kors and the guest house and decided to give Thamel a go. Excellent choice. Thamel is where it's AT in Kathmandu. - I mean I only walked around for a few hours, but that is what I decided.

Explain more later- I made a few poor meal decisions today that I shouldn't have and now I think I'm getting sick... Damnit. I have to watch the meat here!!!

Also, had some Nepalese homemade liquor from a strange man in a corner store where I stopped to buy a beer and crackers for dinner. It tastes dangerously like tequila plus whiskey. Very strange. Apparently his mother brews it with mandarins or something. I think they could still learn a thing or two from Tennessee moonshine.

Definitely getting real sick real fast.

7 comments:

Talbot Presley said...

sketchy homemade liquor... tastes like tequila plus whiskey...(possibly) makes you sick.

Sadly, all that comes to mind is that I really wanna try it!

Hope you feel better!

Jacattack said...

I hope you feel better, too! I'm currently also feeling the wrath of some guatemalan parasite in my digestive system, so you're not alone. Ugh.

Good luck moving into your new house, sounds like a great place to meet folks.

PS--Hi Talbot!

Lucinda Presley said...

Perhaps I should send yours and Lucy's leftover Jello surprises as a substitute for the homemade brew!

Hope you are feeling better - you, too, Jacquelyn!

Kathleen said...

I just realized my whole family commented on the one alcohol-related post I've made. Hahahaha

Talbot Presley said...

Well if its THAT kind of party, I'm ALSO feeling the after effects of a nasty bug from Las Vegas (a.k.a The Nepal of the West) that left me broke and tired. Stupid flashing lights.

Hope you girls are doing better now.

Lucinda Presley said...

Maybe that's why I've been very nauseated for the last 3 days...sympathy pains. This is very interesting. We're all in the same boat. The good thing is that it is temporary...Hope you all feel better SOON!

Jacattack said...

Hahaha. This blog is really fun. Oh and VI-va Las Vegas!