Tuesday, June 24, 2008

No more UN

I talked to Robel for quite awhile the other day about International organizations and their effectiveness against global problems like poverty, or hunger, or other "development issues."

I don't really know what to make of it. This afternoon I had a meeting with an INGO who specializes in water quality and sanitation. Peace corps-like providing rural marginalized communities with access to water and education about basic health issues. This meeting followed close on the heels of another meeting with one of Nepal's government ministries, their Ministry of Health and Population's Health Research Council. Yesterday I met with a woman who works as a professor / researcher for Nepal's Institute of Medicine. So, in the past 24 hours I have talked to people from 3 sectors of international development - and it would seem that these three sectors together could solve any international problem, right?

I don't know. That sounds awfully idealistic, and not really what I was trying to say at all.

Robel's point was that he rarely admits what he is doing in Nepal when he meets people. I asked why, I mean, I think the UN is the shit. He shook his head, "no mon, no" (he looks and talks like Bob Marley, seriously). He said when you are out of America or Europe (basically the "developed countries") never admit if you are working for an international organization, or any non-profit in general. Again, why? "Because they don't do shit mon. Not really. Naathing. And the people know it."

Well hell.

I walked a couple of miles back to BNMT from this water policy group this afternoon. Strikes are in full force, so no cars. Or, I didn't want to ride in one because of the dangers of rocks or guns fired at them. My walk went past the American Embassy - you remember my thoughts on that one - as well as the Japanese embassy, the Indian Embassy, and one of the UN office buildings. So, tons of official cars zooming around.

(and they are all WAY nicer than the average car here - but in prospective really bad cars at home)

Since we had that conversation, I have noticed that Robel is right about people not admitting what they do, if indeed they work for any non-profit, INGOs especially. He is also right about the people thinking INGOs are useless. If I introduce myself as a student people react very differently than if I introduce myself as "working for an INGO." Even Arya's fellow caste members who think themselves way above the development sector react very favorably if I say "student" as opposed to "INGO." So, the people must know it.


View of KTM exactly how it looks, I took this early in the morning before the city woke up.


I don't know what this means, but I guess it points to something being very wrong with the application of the international development sector. And, I really hope this doesn't offend anyone, that was not my intention. I only meant to speculate.

No comments: